Applications are invited for Solution Space Scholarships at UCT Graduate School of Business in South Africa. The scholarships are aimed at supporting mid-career professionals and entrepreneurs who have shown a commitment to local development.
The MTN Scholarships’ overarching mission is to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa as well as creating over time a network of next generation TMT leaders across the continent.
The medium of instruction and examination at UCT is English. International applicants for whom English is a second language have to pass specific language tests.
Course Level: The scholarship only applies to the MBA or MPhil studies at the University of Cape Town’s, Graduate School of Business.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the Business Administration as well as Philosophy.
Scholarship Award: An MTN Scholarship is awarded for one or maximum of two years and covers the full cost of tuition and registration fees at UCT GSB, as set by the business school.
The Scholars can also apply for several types of funding on a discretionary basis. For example an economy-class travel allowance for Scholars traveling from their home country to the business school at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme, a stipend, or to attend additional conferences or workshops, or conduct fieldwork and pilots.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility: To be considered for an MTN Scholarship:
- Applicants must be a citizen of an African country and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
- Applicants should apply to pursue either the MBA or the MPhil in Inclusive Innovation programme at the UCT GSB. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme.
- Financial Need Criteria
Financial Need must be illustrated as follows:
- Full declaration of all details required must be recorded in the space provided on the Affidavit for the MTN Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Details of all property and assets of any nature must be declared on the Affidavit provided.
- UCT reserves the right to request that applicants furnish evidence of answers/statements on the application form. If it is found that the provided information is false or untrue, the University further reserves the right to disqualify an application and/or to cancel and recover any scholarship funds that may have been paid out to an awardee.
Nationality: Students from African Countries (Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have their previous degree.
English Language Requirements: The medium of instruction and examination at UCT is English. International applicants for whom English is a second language are required to submit one of the following:
- A recent score (obtained within 3 – 5 years before application for admission) of at least 570 (paper-based test) or 230 (computer-based test) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- A recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Or, noting that this may only be written at certain designated venues within South Africa, a score of at least 65% on the university’s Placement Test in English for Educational Purposes (PTEEP).
Scholarships in Africa
How to Apply: It is not possible to apply for an MTN Scholarship without applying to the business school.
Applicants must first be eligible and apply for the academic programme at the UCT GSB (via the Admissions Office). For full details about the MBA programme or MPhil Inclusive Innovation programme, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here.
- Applicants must submit the MTN Scholarship Application online form together with their UCT application number received from the UCT GSB Admissions Office. Required supporting documents include a CV and completed Affidavit.
- Applicants are then notified if they are selected for an interview.
- The final decision and award of the MTN Scholarship will be made by a Scholarship Selection panel, following which applicants will be informed by mid-December 2015. Applicants will only be able to take up the MTN Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB programme.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they submit all documents required so they can be considered for both admission and an MTN Scholarship.
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is October 31, 2017.