The Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) offers an array of international fellowships, collectively called the “CAS Presidents International Fellowship Initiative (PIFI)”, to back highly-qualified international scientists and postgraduate students to work and study at CAS institutions.
The PIFI program is available for 4 categories of international researchers and students:
- Distinguished Scientists
- Visiting Scientists
- Postdoctoral Researchers
- International Doctoral students
PIFI for Distinguished Scientists
- Supports international scientists to conduct a lecture tour at CAS for 1-2 weeks.
- Professors are invited to visit at least 2 CAS affiliated institutions to deliver lecture and interact with CAS researchers and postgraduate students.
- Professors are also expected to host CAS postdoc researchers at CAS expenses at their lab for a research stay of 1-3 months.
- Stipend: ￥50,000/week; covers all expenses for this lecture tour; round-trip international airfare; stay; meals; transportation and honorarium.
- Eligibility: Candidates must be well established and internationally recognized scientists; having obtained exceptional scientific accomplishment and prestigious international honors, awards or prizes.
PIFI for Visiting Scientists
- Supports high-caliber international scientists to carry out cooperative projects at CAS institutions for 1-12 months.
- Monthly stipend to cover living expenses; health insurance in China, and economy-class round-trip international travel are provided to the selected fellow.
- Eligibility: applicant must hold at least assistant professor or equivalent position; 5 year’s work experience; a collaborative research proposal prepared in cooperation with the CAS host institution.
PIFI for Postdoctoral Researchers
- Supports young international scientists to conduct research at CAS institutions for 1-2 years.
- They are offered an annual salary to cover living expenses and health insurance in China.
- Each selected candidate receives a pre-tax stipend of ￥200,000/year; economy-class round-trip international travel.
- Eligibility: Be national of a country which has diplomatic relations with China; PhD in natural or technological sciences; below 40 years of age; recommendation from a CAS host researcher;
PIFI for International PhD Students
- Fellowship supports 200 international graduates each year, to pursue their PhD degrees at the University of the Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or CAS institutes around China.
- International students take regular training courses at University for a year; get tuition-waivers; travel support and visa application fees; monthly allowance.
- Eligibility: national of a country which has diplomatic relations with China; below age of 35; hold a Master’s degree; working proficiency in either English or Chinese
|Organization||Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS)|
|Fellowship Level||Researchers, Visiting Scientists, Postdoctoral, Doctoral|
|Subject areas||All disciplines|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|
|Deadline||01 September (Yearly)|